St. Petersburg, FL — May 5, 2018, Tallmadge D’Elia was killed following an accident where his e-cigarette exploded and caught his house on fire.
St. Petersburg Fire Department crews responded to 316 19th Avenue NE to a residence that had caught fire. Inside, they found 38-year-old D’Elia deceased with significant burns to his body.
Upon further examination, medical officials discovered the cause of D’Elia’s death was an e-cigarette that exploded. As a result, fragments penetrated his skull, killing him, and also sparked the blaze which caught the home on fire.
Reports indicate the e-cigarette was a modular Smok-E Mountain product. Further details were not specified.
Authorities continue to investigate the incident.
Map of the Area
E-cigarette explosion accidents often grab the attention of news outlets all over the country, and their prominence may lead people to believe that potential lawsuits are pretty straight-forward. In reality, holding someone liable for an incident like this is quite complex.
Despite what some may think, there often isn’t one big manufacturer to go after for exploding e-cigarette. Typically, there are several parties potentially involved. Most e-cigarettes and vape pens are modular, meaning users can combine third party parts and customize their product. As a result, the manufacturer of the vape pen and the manufacturer of the battery could be two entirely unrelated companies.
On top of that, one has to consider the possibility that a store clerk sold a customer a dangerous combination of products without telling them. There’s also a possibility the user handled the products improperly.
At the end of the day, the point is that an e-cigarette is far from simple. It takes extensive investigations from an experienced professional to find out the exact chain of events that led to the accident. Given the details in these reports, this incident should be no exception.
–Grossman Law Offices