11-Year-Old Girl Killed, Two Hurt in Accidental Carbon Monoxide Poisoning in Springfield, MI
Springfield, MI -- A carbon monoxide poisoning incident in the area of Springfield, MI left an 11-year-old girl dead, and injured two people Thursday, February 2, 2017.
According to police, the incident took place at a home where a kerosene heater was in use. A neighbor called authorities after becoming suspicious when they noticed the power out in the house and heard a gas-powered heater running. Police showed up at the scene to find the girl and two adults, aged 44 & 41, respectively. The 11-year-old girl didn't survive. The two adults were taken to a local hospital with undisclosed injuries.
The investigation is currently underway.
The exact cause of the incident is unclear, but officials say they believe the heater caused the house to fill with carbon monoxide.
There was no further information provided by the report.
map of the area